Tuesday, July 28, 2009

In the beginning...

Hello my name is Jenn and I'm an addict. I mean-- I'm a chemist. No, wait, I'm a culinary architect? I'm a fiber artist?

What I'm trying to say is that I wear many hats.

I wear them figuratively, of course, otherwise I think I would look pretty silly. And of course I don't wear them (figuratively) all at once. I'm a graduate student working on my PhD in chemistry and like many of my peers and colleagues, I'm not yet sure what I want to do when I grow up. I'm a formally trained scientist-- I've been working at the bench for most of a decade now-- but that's not my passion. I like to learn, I like to teach, I like to create, but I'm not good at coming up with new and exciting ideas for research. I like to read scientific papers and aspire to know all there is to know.

I like science, but I'm not ready to teach it as a career. I'd like to go into the "real world" for a bit since I'm currently a 21st grader.... hmmmm. I tried an internship as a science writer, but I don't really know the reality of that career choice. I feel that I write fairly well (for a scientist), and do enjoy the flexibility of it. For now, I'm just playing it by ear, trying to get through graduate school.

When I'm not doing lab science, I can often be found doing kitchen science. I LOVE to bake, a passion that was passed to me by my father. Every December we have a Christmas Cookie Weekend Extravaganza where we employ pounds of butter, 2 Kitchen-Aid Mixers and LOTS of sugar to produce massive quantities of cookies. It's good times. I bake throughout the year, but that weekend is one of my favorites. Kind of funny to look forward to Christmas so I can bake, huh?

The rest of the time that is not spent mixing and creating and concocting, I spend with my husband, dogs, movies, and knitting. Let me clear something up here: I'm not OLD... well, not as old as most. I'm in my mid-20s and I LOVE to knit! It's my dirty little secret.

I envision this blog mainly focusing on science, cooking, movies and knitting/crocheting as those are the general topics that most interest me. So hold on tight and enjoy the ride!! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment